pics or specs on lifting strap/eye bolt plate

Re: pics or specs on lifting strap/eye bolt plate

Postby jerrymlewis » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:04 pm

I think most of them are stern heavy as the manual even mentions connecting lines through the scuppers to help hold it level (actually a bit bow down so the mast is ahead of the crane).
Jerry M. Lewis
1985 Capri 22 fin keel/standard rig
"Kudzu" sails on Scotts Flat Lake, CA
jerrymlewis

Boat Name: Kudzu
Sail Number: 155
Boat Type: Fin Keel Standard Rig

Postby JEPomer » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:49 pm

pgudat wrote:
JEPomer wrote:
jerrymlewis wrote:Thanks JEPomer, but that is the size I know is used for the eye BOLT that goes into the plate that straddles the two aft keel bolts.

I am asking what is the diameter and threads for the keel bolts themselves so that I can install two EYE NUTS on the existing keel bolts (after removing the nuts) and using them to lift the boat, sharing the weight between the two eye nuts. I remember them being much smaller than the 1" x 8 that is used for the eye bolt/plate combo.

Jerry

Jerry,

On my boat (1988, 281) the keel bolts are 1"-8. It is possible that yours may be different.

John

The boats in our fleet use this eyebolt with a 1/2x13 thread

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/KEN-FO ... -Nut-3ZHF4

Patrick

My boat came out of the water really late this year. I finally did check the diameter of the keel bolts. They are indeed 1/2" - The lifting strap/eye bolt plate drawing also clearly specified the keel bolt clearance to be 0.515".

I also saw a video of a Capri 22 being demonstrated at a boat show. The dealer was saying that particular boat was going to have the traveler moved forward to the companionway and change it to mid-boom sheeting. That would go a long ways to get around my wife's only complaint that the mid-cockpit location is very inconvenient for her short legs...

The days pass happily with me wherever my ship sails.
--- Joshua Slocum

"You are not going to find the ideal boat. You are not even going to have it if you design it from scratch."
--- Carl Lane
JEPomer

Boat Name: Ophelia
Sail Number: 281
Boat Type: Wing Keel Standard Rig

Postby jerrymlewis » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:50 am

Well, I have finally gotten around to installing the eye nuts and lifting straps. I bought two 1/2" - 8 eye nuts that fit perfectly on the Keel bolts. And the two 6' long 2-ply 2" straps (rated at 6400 pounds) should give me the insurance to feel good about lifting my fin keel Capri 22 off the trailer.

But I am very surprised to find that even the most aft Keel bolt is forward of vertical to the rear of the cabin top. I was planning to use the two rear bolts with attached eye nuts to connect two straps to the hoist hook. Now it seems that the straps will be pushing hard against the cabintop to the point it might damage the cabintop.

My question: do the lines shown in some of the pictures that run to the winches and stern cleats pull the straps rearward and away from the cabintop edge, bringing the center of lifting effort aft?

Thanks,
Jerry
Jerry M. Lewis
jerrymlewis

Postby jerrymlewis » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:22 am

How far back do you have to pull the lifting strap to have a balanced lift with the hoist? Right now, without any lines holding it amidships laterally or lines aft pulling the strap rearward, my strap will hit the back edge of the open cabin top. Do you put the aft line on the genoa winches and crank back until you get the fore/aft balance set (and then mark the lines)?

Thanks,
Jerry
Jerry M. Lewis
jerrymlewis

Previous

Return to Hoisting